Since the v06.04, Printoid integrates its own backup & restore feature. Why is this useful for everyone?
- You are using Printoid TRIAL for a while. And now you decide to upgrade to Printoid PRO or PREMIUM: you will be able to apply your Trial configuration on the new version!
- You are changing your phone / tablet: you don’t have to reconfigure the whole application!
- You are installing Printoid on more than one device: you have to configure the app only once!
How to backup & restore?
There are two way to backup & restore your whole application configuration.
The first way can be used in the Printoid’s settings. I’ve let you the possibility to perform your own backup, and to restore it.
The second one is for those who are upgrading to Printoid PRO (from Printoid TRIAL), from Printoid PREMIUM (from Printoid TRIAL or PRO), or for those who are installing Printoid on a second (or a third!) device. On the first start of Printoid, the welcome screen will prompt you to accept the “read external storage” permission. When granted, you will have a new option on the screen: apply the whole configuration of the previous installation!
(Upgrading to Printoid PREMIUM: nice, Printoid PRO is still installed, I’m able to copy its configuration!)
(I’ve already made a backup, I can upgrade to Printoid PREMIUM carefree!)
How does it work?
Pretty simple. Once you have accepted the “read/write external storage” permissions, Printoid will be able to write the whole configuration in the /Printoid/settings/ folder on your storage. For example /sdcard/Printoid/settings/.
This backup contains:
- All your printer profiles
- All your settings
- All your custom SSH / GCODE commands
- All your changes performed in the app
This is important to let this folder in the same place, with the same name. You simply have to copy it to another device in order to be able to restore the configuration in Printoid ; i.e. copy the /Printoid/settings/ folder from your SDCARD and place it in the SDCARD of the other device.
- When you uninstall Printoid from your device, the backup will not be deleted too
- If you have installed Printoid TRIAL, PRO & PREMIUM on the same device (why not!) so they will share the same backup folder
- When you apply a backup, the app will restart automatically if it succeeded. This operation can take a few seconds.
This feature looks pretty cool. Thank you! But why not using a cloud service, like the Google account, to store the configuration in real-time and apply it on another device without having to manipulate files?
That’s a good question. And the answer is as much good: the only reason is the security of your personal informations.
I want you to have the full control on your personal data, like your public IP, your opened ports, your basic auth and SSH login & password infos. So you’ll stay the master, and not Google.