For security reasons, you probably want to secure the access to Printoid on your phone (and so to your 3D printers).
Printoid allows you to do that. That’s an optional feature, disabled by default.
Step 1: Enable the password locker
This feature is available since Printoid v6.20.
Open the Printoid’s settings, then go to the “+” panel.
Toggle ON the “Enable password locker” feature. If it’s the first time you activate it, Printoid will prompt you for your customized password in two steps:
- Type your own password
- Confirm this password by entering it again
After that, you will be able to change the current password in 3 steps:
- Type the current password
- Type the new password
- Type again the new password
The default password is 0000 (normaly you should never deal with the default password since the password customization is mandatory.
(The Security settings category let you activate the password locker)
(The 3 steps to change the current password)
Step 2: Unlock the app with your password
Once you’ve activated the feature and customized your password, your app will be locked on startup.
There are 3 possible issues:
- Printoid is unlocked and you press the home button of your phone: the app remains unlocked
- Printoid is unlocked and another app goes in foreground: the app remains unlocked unless its process is killed by Android
- Printoid is unlocked and you press the back button of your phone: the app will be locked now
You don’t need to confirm the password: once you’ve entered the 4 correct digits, Printoid will unlock automatically.
Step 3: Unlock the app with your fingerprint
This feature is available since Printoid v6.21.
If you have activated the password locker in Printoid, this feature will be automatically included in the locker screen, depending to the following prerequisites:
- Your device should have, of course, a fingerprint sensor
- You need to register at least one fingerprint in the Android settings
- Your phone needs to be locked by, at least, a password / a scheme / a fingerprint.
Once these conditions are united, a fingerprint icon will appear in the locker screen. So instead of entering your password, you will be able to simply unlock Printoid with your finger 😉
(Printoid successfully unlocked by a fingerprint, in portrait mode)
(Unknown fingerprint, Printoid wont unlock!)
Please note that, after 5 wrong fingerprint detections, the feature will be automatically deactivated for 30 seconds by Android. After this delay, you should be able to try again… but after only one fail, the feature will be deactivated for 1 minute…etc!
When the fingerprint method is deactivated, you’ll be still able to unlock the app by entering your password.